How to Prevent YLOD (New Info: Advantage of the Remote Play)

Let's talk about anything about video games, no matter what platform it is. What is your favorite game? Who is your favorite character? What are the recently released games? What is DLC (downloadable content)? How do I beat this boss? How do I set up my team?
emer1985
Power Serve 3D Tennis
Power Serve 3D Tennis
PSN ID: Ayaw akong kabitan ng PLDT! Siyet!

Dahil po sa maLaking pera ang investment natin sa ating mga ps3 kaiLangan natin itong protektahan! Here are some tips that I surf in the internet so that I can share it to you! Hope it wiLL heLp you guys!

5 Tips to Prevent YLOD or RROD

It's very likely that you or someone you know has already suffered from the dreaded yellow light of death or red ring of death on Xbox 360. Although the YLOD is far less of an issue, it has the same root cause as the RROD, overheating. Whilst the new PS3 and the Xbox 360 S are options to get away from these issues, they are not 100% fail-proof. There have been issues of RDOD (Red Dot of Death) on the new Xbox 360 S, and although I haven't heard of an overheating issue with the new PlayStation 3s, I'm sure that it is still possible. Here are 5 ways you can try to prevent YLOD or RROD.

5. Let your console breathe

The most likely cause of a console overheating is if it isn't placed in a sensible area. Whilst we may have been able to place things on top of our PS2s, the PS3 and Xbox 360 are not so durable. Try keeping your console in open space to allow it to get some air. Also, if possible, make sure the console is placed on a hard surface, and not something like carpet, which will retain the heat, making it more likely that your console will overheat.

Para sigurado akong nagcicircuLate ang hangin sa iLaLim ng ps3 ko gumawa ako ng patungan ng ps3! BumiLi ako ng 1x1 na kahoy sa suking hardware tapos gumawa ako ng patungan! MadaLi Lang naman actuaLLy waLa akong aLam sa pagkakarpintero pero nakagawa naman ako! Here are the pics!

4. Keep it horizontal

When the PlayStation 3 was released many people expected that keeping the console in the vertical position would allow it to vent heat out like a chimney. However, an independent test confirmed that keeping it horizontal actually kept the PS3 cooler. Whilst this may not exactly be the case for the Xbox 360, I'd suggest you keep it horizontal because it is a little less stable in the vertical position. So, it's easy to knock it over, and if you knock it over, it'll also leave a nasty scratch all around the disc.

Tama nga naman mas safe kapag naka-horizontaL! Pero kung maganda naman yung verticaL stand pwede na din! BTW meron akong napapansin sa mga naka-verticaL stand na consoLe Like my PS2! Mahina bumasa yung Lens niya kapag naka-verticaL! I am pLaying VaLkyrie ProfiLe 2: SiLmeria at that particuLar time and according to the deveLopers VaLkyrie ProfiLe games depends greatLy on disc streaming! Kaya ayun kapag naka-verticaL yung ps2 ko paLaging LumaLabas yung reading disc pero kapag naka-horizontaL hindi naman! Experience ko po ito sa ps2 sa ps3 kasi I have no pLan to use my consoLe verticaLLy!

3. Clean it out regularly

This is possibly one of the biggest reasons why consoles overheat; people do not take good care of their consoles. Make sure you vacuum the vents (compressed air tends to work better but can damage the PCB if not used correctly) of your console frequently, and if necessary cover them with a dust cover or cloth overnight. Before you do this though, make sure the console has cooled down a little. If you are out of warranty, you can also try and open up your console and clean it out. Trust me, however clean the console looks from the outside; there WILL be a thick layer of dust around the most crucial areas on the inside.

Medyo bago pa si PS3 kaya hindi ko pa niLiLinisan ng major major! PaLagi ko Lang pinupunasan yung ibabaw para hindi kumapit ang aLikabok!

2. Modify

If all else fails and you are out of warranty, you do have the option of modifying your console. A Nyko intercooler is a good option for the PS3 if you don't want to void your warranty, but the Xbox 360 version of the cooler is said to actually cause RROD at times. For the Xbox 360 you can actually replace the internal fans with quieter fans that expel more air than the originals. If you are really worried about overheating, the best option you have is to replace the thermal paste between the CPU/GPU and the heatsink.

This isn't as difficult as you may think, simply clean the contact points with rubbing alcohol (aka isopropyl alcohol) and put an even thin layer of better thermal paste on them. I'd recommend Arctic Cooling MX-3 because it is newbie friendly, and contains no metal, which means that there is no possibility of short circuiting. This paste also requires no curing time, so it should work effectively straight away, and it has some of the best heat conductivity on the market. I actually cured my RROD with this method.

A. Say No to JaiLbreaking! Nuff Said!

B. Dito din po papasok yung GoLden RuLe sa eLectronics na "HUWAG AYUSIN ANG AYOS"

C. Kung need mong paLitan ang thermaL paste pagawa mo na Lang sa bihasang technician para rest assured ka na maibabaLik ng maayos ang iyong PS3! Pero kung tiwaLa ka naman sa iyong kakayahan bakit ka pa gagastos di ba? Ang sa akin Lang kasi mas rest assured ako kung technician yung magpapaLit ng thermaL paste :agree:

1. Gameplay

This tip is one that all gamers should take heed of. Most cases of RROD and YLOD don't happen during gameplay, they happen the next time you turn the console on. This is why you can play through an entire game almost, and switch the console off. The next day, RROD or YLOD hits. The reason for this is that you've essentially heated up the console, and switched it off before the fans have expelled the heat. So the motherboard warps because of the heat. When I got YLOD, I had been playing Killzone 2 for a long time, but the YLOD happened the next time I turned the console on. A similar thing happened with my Xbox 360.

So the simple tip is, leave your console on the XMB/NXE after a long session of gaming in order to allow the console to vent the heat. Once the fans quieten down, which usually only takes about 5 minutes, you're safe to switch off the console. Trust me, with the length of time I was playing inFAMOUS and Uncharted 2 during release, I probably would have got the YLOD again if I didn't use this tip.

1.2 GamepLay

AdditionaL information! Kapag pinatay mo ang ps3 at red na yung iLaw (stand by mode) wag mo agad bunutin sa saksakan kasi umiikot pa yung fan niya! Sinubukan ko po ito Kapag naka stand by mode ang ps3 ay umiikot pa din yung fan niya pero mahina Lang (tried on ps3 sLim no idea on the FAT)! Kaya siguro ginawa ito ng sony para yung heat na nakukuLob sa Loob ng PS3 ay tuLuyan niyang maiLabas! BaLi ganito po ngayon yung ginagawa ko! Ive tested is severaL times and the cause of my fan not turning off whiLe on stand-by mode is probabLy cause by the feature caLLed REMOTE PLAY! So Ive taken advantage of this feature in order to cooL down my ps3 whiLe in stand-by mode!

Eto po ngayon yung ginagawa ko:
XMB cooLdown 5-10 minutes ====> Turn off (Standy by Mode 10-15) ====> Removing from the outLet

======================================================================
Taking advantage of the Remote PLay for cooLong your PS3 (tested on PS3 sLim CECH-25xxA)

AdditionaL information I hope that it wiLL heLp!

Sa mga nakabasa po ng pinost kong thread dito about "How to prevent YLOD/RROD" meron po akong tanong dun about my ps3 sLim! Ang nangyayari kasi kapag pagkatapos ko magLaro at naka-standby mode ang ps3 (red light) ay patuLoy pa ding umiikot ang FAN nito sa Loob pero mahina Lang, pero ramdam mo na taLagang nagLaLabas siya ng hangin at pagkaLipas ng iLang minuto mga 30-45 minutes umiikot pa din siya pero the good news is maLamig na yung binubuga niyang hangin! Nagiimbestiga ko dahiL sobrang pag-aaLaLa na baka merong factory defect ang ps3 ko! So far my PS3 is running smooth no signs of sLowing down and hindi pa ako nakaka-experience ng hang-ups! So yung nangyayari sa ps3 sLim ko na hindi tumitigiL yung fan kapag naka stand-by mode ay nakatuLong pa dahiL tuLuyan nitong pinaLaLamig yung ps3 ko!

Pero syempre paranoid taLaga ako sa pangyayaring yun and I search and search about what is happening on my consoLe! LuckiLy I stumbLed upon a forum having the same case as mine! Ang sabi dun ang dahiLan daw kung bakit hindi tumitigiL yung fan ng ps3 kapag standby mode is because of its feature called "REMOTE PLAY"

What is "REMOTE PLAY" ?

Remote Play is a feature on the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Portable which allows a PlayStation Portable user to interact with their PlayStation 3's Xross Media Bar. Users can access music, videos, photos, PlayStation games, The PlayStation Store and various applications stored on the PlayStation 3's HDD, or external flash drives and optical media attached to the PlayStation 3.

NaaLaLa ko na sinubukan ko paLa dati na gamitin ang remote play dahil sa curiosity about sa features na ito! Kaya paLa kapag naka-standby mode yung ps3 ko nakailaw yung green (wifi) dahiL pwede ko paLang controLin ito gamit yung psp ko!

Experiment

Ive done severaL experiment Last night this is the resuLts!

PS3 sLim (No idea on the CLassic)

1. Remote PLay ON = After pLaying a game, I turn off the PS3 to stand by mode (red Light on) and the Fan continues to spin! The onLy way to stop the fan is to unpLug the consoLe! Because of this my PS3 sLim can exhaust the hot air whiLe in stand by mode (This is good :agree: )

2. Remote PLay Off = After pLaying a game, I turn off the PS3 to stand by mode (red Light on) and the FAN instantLy stops! Leaving my ps3 to cooL down naturaLLy!

So far naka-set na sa akin na on yung remote pLay so that the fan wiLL continue to spin even in stand by mode making the hot air exit the consoLe! ASTIG :agree:

PaLaging tatandaan hinay hinay Lang sa Laro! Pero may technique paLa para maiwasan yung YLOD ng mahaL nating PS3!

Hope that this wiLL heLp you guys!

Source: hxxp://www.ps3center.net/article/434/2/5-tips- ... -and-rrod/
Last edited by emer1985 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:47 am, edited 9 times in total.
Aanhin mo pa ang bahay na bato kung patay na ang kabayo!
hvkong
PlayStation
PlayStation

Thanks for taking the time to write this. Newbie PS3 owner here and I found the tips interesting. :smiley:
emer1985
Power Serve 3D Tennis
Power Serve 3D Tennis

Thanks po sa Like! (Parang facebook Lang) Ay Ganda! Gusto ko yan ha!
xenj
Katipunero
PSN ID: xenj

nice article. though,

what do you mean by this?
emer1985 wrote:
JaiLbreaking! Nuff Said!
[RP][PHI] A-TAPANG A-TAO! SUGOD KATIPUNERO!

PSN ID (HK): xenj

xenj's Battlefield 3 Battlelog
xenj's Gaming Life and Action Figure Collection

ANTI-YLOD

KATIPUNERO NG BATOLPILD 3
emer1985
Power Serve 3D Tennis
Power Serve 3D Tennis

xenj wrote:nice article. though,

what do you mean by this?
emer1985 wrote:
JaiLbreaking! Nuff Said!
Na yung jailbreaking is a kind of modification na pwedeng maka-damage sa ating ps3 console!
pantellica
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

sana nga ma damage ang console kapag nag pa jail break ka...o kaya gawin ng sony na lahat ng legit ay ylod free pero kapag nag JB eh ylod na agad! :evilsmile:
stingray1059
Starblade Alpha
Starblade Alpha

kung ang cause ng ylod/3rl ay overheating. bakit sa may yelong bansa may ylod din?
xenj
Katipunero
PSN ID: xenj

stingray1059 wrote:kung ang cause ng ylod/3rl ay overheating. bakit sa may yelong bansa may ylod din?
kahit gano kalamig pa yung place kung di naman well ventilated yung ps3, eh di mag overheat din.
[RP][PHI] A-TAPANG A-TAO! SUGOD KATIPUNERO!

PSN ID (HK): xenj

xenj's Battlefield 3 Battlelog
xenj's Gaming Life and Action Figure Collection

ANTI-YLOD

KATIPUNERO NG BATOLPILD 3
Soclose
Starblade Alpha
Starblade Alpha

Best kind of prevention, buy directly from Sony Centre and get 1 year warranty on parts and service. I understand that the price difference might be an issue for some people, but it's an option over obsessing over YLOD and other issues.
Else you just have to be ready for the worst case scenario, buying a new PS3. That's the downside of gray market items, you get them cheap(er) but when they break down you are on your own.
emer1985
Power Serve 3D Tennis
Power Serve 3D Tennis

pantellica wrote:sana nga ma damage ang console kapag nag pa jail break ka...o kaya gawin ng sony na lahat ng legit ay ylod free pero kapag nag JB eh ylod na agad! :evilsmile:
Maraming ps3 owners ngayon ang nagpapa-JB kasi gusto niLang makamura dahiL mahaL ang originaL na games! Hindi mo naman kaiLangang bumiLi ng bumiLi! Pwede namang mag buy and seLL kapag natapos mo na or sawa ka na sa isang game! :agree:
pantellica
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

emer1985 wrote:
pantellica wrote:sana nga ma damage ang console kapag nag pa jail break ka...o kaya gawin ng sony na lahat ng legit ay ylod free pero kapag nag JB eh ylod na agad! :evilsmile:
Maraming ps3 owners ngayon ang nagpapa-JB kasi gusto niLang makamura dahiL mahaL ang originaL na games! Hindi mo naman kaiLangang bumiLi ng bumiLi! Pwede namang mag buy and seLL kapag natapos mo na or sawa ka na sa isang game! :agree:
yup thats their reasons..and i understand them..kaya lang sa kaso ng ps3 habang tumatagal na ganyang may issue ng JB may mga bagay na sa tingen ko makaka perwisyo din sateng parepareho na gumagamet ng ps3..madalas may update ang sony..sa dalas nyan baka may gawing update ang sony na makaperwisyo saten kahit pa naka legit naman tayo..i mean baka may magawang update ang sony na apektado lahat dahil lang sa issue ng JB na yan....

sa kaso ng ps1 and ps2 nun di na issue yang pirated kase simple lang ang gaming nuon isa pa naka pirated games din ako date pero pagdateng naman ng ps3 na..lets all be legit naman na..ibang iba na technology ng ps3 console ngayon... :smiley:
emer1985
Power Serve 3D Tennis
Power Serve 3D Tennis

Soclose wrote:Best kind of prevention, buy directly from Sony Centre and get 1 year warranty on parts and service. I understand that the price difference might be an issue for some people, but it's an option over obsessing over YLOD and other issues.
Else you just have to be ready for the worst case scenario, buying a new PS3. That's the downside of gray market items, you get them cheap(er) but when they break down you are on your own.
I get your point sir! MahaL ang ps3 sa sony center because SONY did not officiaLLy reLeased the PLayStation 3 in the PhiLLipines dahiL sa piracy (nabasa ko Lang sa isang articLe dati)
atabspunk
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

Magandang tip ito... :agree:

Sticky? :smiley:
emer1985
Power Serve 3D Tennis
Power Serve 3D Tennis

altahi wrote:Magandang tip ito... :agree:

Sticky? :smiley:
Thanks po sir!
manilacoke
Motor Toon Grand Prix
Motor Toon Grand Prix
PSN ID: system-zero3

about keeping the PS3 cool, has anyone tried the laptop cooling base on CDRKING?
th3 patriotz
Primal Rage
Primal Rage
PSN ID: elmokigab

for me wala naman nakakaalam kung pano ma prevent yun YLOD/RROD :agree: meron ako nabasa dati dito na sobra alaga niya sa ps3 naka UPS w/ AVR 3hours lang ata gameplay niya at may 15mins pa pahinga bago i turn off :bigmouth: pero tinamaan parin ng YLOD :facepalm: para sakin gamitin niyo ng gamitin yun console niyo wag niyo gawin baby yan di niyo ma eenjoy yun ps3 niyo kung 3hours eh turn off na :partyhat:
PS ID:elmokigab

PS3 40GB 03 16 08>>YLOD 05 11 09
PS3 SLIM 120GB 12 20 09
NINTENDO DS LITE CRIMSON RED 4GB

IF YOU WANT TO BE A HERO JUST FOLLOW ME-JOHN W.LENNON
emer1985
Power Serve 3D Tennis
Power Serve 3D Tennis

th3 patriotz wrote:for me wala naman nakakaalam kung pano ma prevent yun YLOD/RROD :agree: meron ako nabasa dati dito na sobra alaga niya sa ps3 naka UPS w/ AVR 3hours lang ata gameplay niya at may 15mins pa pahinga bago i turn off :bigmouth: pero tinamaan parin ng YLOD :facepalm: para sakin gamitin niyo ng gamitin yun console niyo wag niyo gawin baby yan di niyo ma eenjoy yun ps3 niyo kung 3hours eh turn off na :partyhat:
I get your point sir! Pero maigi na din yung kahit papano ay meron po tayong ginagawang paraan para aLagaan yung consoLe natin! Aaminin ko na 8 hours ako magLaro LaLo na ngayong nagpapaLakas ako sa FinaL Fantasy XIII! Kapag Sports Champion naman nakaka 4 hours ako sa TabLe Tennis! Kapag ganyan katagaL yung gamepLay hours ko paLagi kong ginagawa yung NUMBER 1! :agree:
sinkhole12
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

I also have been doing steps 1 and 5 for a long time... Di nko gumawa ng patungan before I just used crystal dices and placed them underneath the 4 rubber stoppers basta flat yung surface na patungan wala naman problema...

I also have an industrial exhaust fan sa window to which my Ps3 is approximately a feet away to vent out the heat. I mostly turn it on when playing or kapag mainit sa kwarto since wala naman aircon yung room ko..

Lastly cover your Ps3 with a cloth or towel when not in use, just make sure that you don't cover it after use or when the unit is still warm after playing. Let it sit for an hour or so then cover it para hindi alikabukin..
Buying: 3DS GAMES>> http://www.pinoyps.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=52386
Selling/Trading: None
Mitups: Pque, Las Piñas, Alabang, Mckinley Hill
09054982633/09198021610
emer1985
Power Serve 3D Tennis
Power Serve 3D Tennis

sinkhole12 wrote:I also have been doing steps 1 and 5 for a long time... Di nko gumawa ng patungan before I just used crystal dices and placed them underneath the 4 rubber stoppers basta flat yung surface na patungan wala naman problema...

I also have an industrial exhaust fan sa window to which my Ps3 is approximately a feet away to vent out the heat. I mostly turn it on when playing or kapag mainit sa kwarto since wala naman aircon yung room ko..

Lastly cover your Ps3 with a cloth or towel when not in use, just make sure that you don't cover it after use or when the unit is still warm after playing. Let it sit for an hour or so then cover it para hindi alikabukin..
Ganda nung mga dice mo sir! Nga paLa! Sir yung ps3 mo po ba sLim or fat? Saan mo po itinututok yung FAN? Tsaka saan ka po kumukuha ng suppLy para sa FAN mo?
sinkhole12
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

sa mga hardware store meron niyan... mga 250 ata....yung dice meron na ako dati talaga niyan dahil sa mga nilalaro kong TCG... yung fan ko nasa bintana tapos yung PS3 nakapaong sa table sakto katapat ng bintana tapos kinabit ko nalang direcho sa labas yung hangin... hindi pabuga yung fan ko kundi pahigop lang ng init na mamumuo sa likod ng Ps3...picturan ko minsan...

FAT pala PS3 ko ... yung huling fat na 80gb SKU...
Buying: 3DS GAMES>> http://www.pinoyps.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=52386
Selling/Trading: None
Mitups: Pque, Las Piñas, Alabang, Mckinley Hill
09054982633/09198021610