The Anime Industry is dying

Talk about things other than video games. What are your other hobbies? What's your favorite TV show? Are you into sports. Any recommended restaurants? Do you travel?
CMagno_Freedom
Motor Toon Grand Prix
Motor Toon Grand Prix
PSN ID: CMagno_Freedom

The anime industry is dying

Di ako magaling mag-explain ng mga bagay-bagay. Sabihin na natin na listener ako at hindi speaker.

Kung pwede, panuorin niyo po yung mga videos linked below para maintindihan ang nangyayari sa anime industry at kung paano natin ito maliligtas :)

*These are not my videos

Shocking News Shows The Anime Industry is Dying (Manglobe Bankrupt & Summer 2015 Anime Sales)

The Anime Man's open letter to the anime industry

Not all legal things are moral, but all moral acts are legal.
Hi
deathzero23
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

Why Anime Has Been Getting Shorter And There Are Fewer Second Seasons
http://goboiano.com/original/3337-why-a ... nd-seasons
Economic recession

I know, economics can be boring, so I'll keep this brief. A recession basically means that the market is shrinking. People aren't buying things as often and businesses aren't investing in new products and services. If money isn't being circulated in the economy, businesses don't have as much reason to create new products, people lose their jobs, and people cut back on unnecessary spending.

Certain economists have argued that Japan has been in a recession since the 1990s and are just now crawling out of it.

Declining birth rate

Japan is in the middle of a population crisis. As of June, 2015, the birth rate was at a record low of 1.26 children per woman. The Japanese government estimates that the birth rate must be at 2.07 to maintain the current population level as it is.

What this means is that Japan is an aging country. The work force is rapidly aging and will be retiring soon. As people age, they tend to have less disposable income or their tastes in entertainment change.

Japan has tried to some odd things to get people to make babies, but it's not working. Some countries can offset this by encouraging immigration, but Japan doesn't really like that idea, preferring to have a homogenous society.

How does this affect anime?

Okay, so I got the groundwork out of the way. Let's talk about how this affects the anime industry.

The recession and declining birthrate affects anime in two ways.
1. Anime production committees and studios are reluctant to invest in a long term series
2. Most long term series were aimed at children and teenagers.

Long term or short term?

Studios need money to make anime. Pretty obvious, right? So, when a production committee gets together to produce an anime they ask a couple of questions:
1. Who is the target audience?
2. How popular is the source material / how popular can this new IP* become?
3. How much will the anime cost?
4. How will we make a profit?

Now, keep in mind that anime was generally cheaper to make in the 1980s to the early 1990s since Japan's economy was booming.

It is cheaper and less risky to invest in a shorter running anime. If you are budgeting for a 100 episode series and already worked out the business deals, then you are stuck making a 100 episode series, unless you cut your losses and cancel the project. If the series doesn't catch on, or it isn't making money on merchandise (more on this in a minute), then you could end up in the red.

What about series popularity? Adapting a hit manga gives you an advantage over creating an original series.

Let's go back to peak at those 100+ episode epics. Yu Yu Hakusho, Ranma 1/2, Sailor Moon, and Dragon Ball Z all were insanely popular manga series before getting adapted. For example, Yu Yu Hakusho was one of Shueisha's best selling manga before the anime was made. Having a large, built in audience makes it easier to risk a long form series.

Modern examples include Naruto, One Piece, Ace of Diamond, and Fairy Tail. Their manga are popular, so committees are comfortable with investing in the large episode counts.

It is worth noting that Weekly Shonen Jump, which is the most popular manga magazine in Japan, has been losing subscribers since the early 2000s.

A shift in demographics

Take a look at a group of long form series and you'll find that they are either shonen or shojo series. These shows are aimed at pre-teen and young adult boys and girls. Why? Because they have more free time and disposable income than adults.

It is no secret that Japan has a brutal work culture, so it is tough for a working adult to stay up to date with an anime series while juggling their responsibilities. It is not impossible, but it is a challenge.

The popular shows, like Yu Yu Hakusho and Sailor Moon aired during after school hours or on Sundays (the only day off school in Japan except for holidays). Bam, airing during those hours gives you the maximum number of viewers. Check out the air times of series sometime, you'll get a sense of who the audience is.

The working population isn't as predictable. People have different work hours and off days. So what do you do? You can't bet that people have DVRs, it's too risky.

Since Japan has a declining birth rate, there are less young people to target every year. It is no secret that the modern industry has became "otaku focused." Personal opinions aside, shows that rely on excessive moe and fanservice tend to get slapped with the otaku label.

These shows air during the late night weekday hours known as "Otaku O'clock." The target audience is small, but it is more reliable than the working adult demographic and has been more lucrative than the pre-teen to young adult demographic in recent years.

Merchandise

Kids are easy to entertain. This is not a bad thing. Buy a kid a cheap action figure or doll, a backpack of their favorite character, or a lunchbox and they will be happy. These cheap to make products are a great revenue stream for many franchises. Why else do you think Dragon Ball teams up with KFC for themed food?

The problem is that older audiences don't want backpacks and lunch boxes. Instead of a cheaply made action figure, the otaku crowd wants a detailed PVC figure. These cost more to produce, and it is reflected in the price.

Other products are hyper limited in appeal. Dakimakuras and oppai mouse pads aren't going to be carried by chain retailers. Also, not every member of the committee wants to have a sexy dakimakura made of their characters.

Producers offset this limited market appeal by raising the price. Instead of having thousands of kids buying cheap t-shirts and lunch boxes, companies are relying on a few hundred otaku buying overpriced PVC figures and dakimakuras.

This is not good monetization for the production committees, but it's all they have to work with. In the end, no one wins with this business model.

Different source material

The success of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya in 2006 proved that light novel adaptations could be successful in the industry if done right.

Unfortunately, light novels are not like manga. These books tend to have way more exposition and scene setting than manga does. Since it is a less visual medium than manga, studios adapting light novels have to slog through the writing to see what is necessary for the anime. Keep in mind that most studios are used to adapting manga, so it is a challenge for them.

The reason for the anime being made

The majority of anime is an adaptation of sorts. Depending on the production committee, they might treat the anime as a glorified commercial for the source material.

Even long running series aren't free of being treated like a commercial. Katekyo Hitman Reborn! was canceled after 203 episodes and an OVA since Shueisha didn't see too much of an increase in the manga sales to justify continuing the anime. Due to this, the anime ends at the start of the time skip.

Many committees have a practice that is similar to what American studios call the front 13, back 9. Basically, 13 episodes of a series are ordered. If it is successful, the last 9 that is needed for a full season will be ordered. If not, there tends to be an ending point in the 13th episode to tie up most of the loose ends.

For anime, one cour (about 10-14 episodes depending on premier date) will be ordered. A combination of viewers, early Blu-Ray and DVD sales, and an increase in source material sales will determine if another cour will be ordered.

Hidamari Sketch is a good modern example. Essentially there are four cours that have been ordered over the course of five years to produce 49 episodes and 12 OVAs. 61 episodes in total, but they were all produced in a more cautious, piecemeal environment instead of ordering them all at once. This is the production model that the industry has moved towards.

If you seen an adaptation that ends between 10 to 26 episodes, odds are either it did not meet sales goals or there is not enough source material. Original series will be within the 10 to 26 range, but since they were written for that allotment, their stories fit it better.

Wrap up

The big take away is that the combination of Japan's economic recession and declining birth rate has changed how companies produce anime. Anime is not as cheap to make and there are not many kids around to buy cheaply produced merchandise.

This has made the industry cautious when it comes to the length of producing a series.
Seraph011
Kaizoku-o
PSN ID: Seraph01

Hmm.. I really hope not. As it is, anime has become a part of everyone's culture and not just of Japan.
Seraph M.D.
An1mo
flipsflops
Primal Rage
Primal Rage
PSN ID: flipsflops

^Yes, but not everyone is willing to pay for their animes.
白線の内側に下がってお待ちください
Darkshader
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

Maybe, pero sana hindi. Kasi iyong Hanna Barbera and Warner Brothers Animation nag-sara na rin. Okay nga noong 1980's through 2000's daming american cartoons from Batman the Animated Series to Justice League to Pinky & the Brain and Looney Tunes.

Malulugi nga ang Japanese Animation kung masyadong mahal iyong mga blurays & dvds nila. Walang bibili lalo na sa States kung mahal ang licensing. That's the only hope to make money is from home media. Iyong streaming subscription malabo kumita ng malaki, especially sa Asia puro torrent and illegal streaming nangyayari.
PSN ID: Darkshader

Gamer/Toy Collector
Darkshader
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

Anime is a expensive hobby trust me. Mas magastos pa siya sa videogames, dahil sa games puwede ka pang mag skip ng months or 1 year at hintayin mo mag sale. Iyong anime every season (spring, summer, fall, winter) laging may bagong anime series. Tapos pag nilabas sa home media hirap mag collect kung avid anime fan ka.

Kasi every month may mga 2 to 6 anime series akong gustong bilhin sa bluray, piling pili na iyon. So add that up mga 24 to 72 anime blurays iyon sa isang taon. Kahit pa mag black friday sales siya ng 50% off mapapagastos ka parin talaga. Puwede mo rin tipirin like mga 10 animes na lang bilhin mo each year, for sure kasama na diyan iyong naruto, one piece, dragon ball, attack on titan, and ghibli movies ... iyong iba mga new series na or continuing series to collect.
PSN ID: Darkshader

Gamer/Toy Collector
DarkRushBeat
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

Wag naman sana.....Meron pa naman magagandang OVA na lumalabas every now & then ah...
Everybody wants Happiness, Nobody wants Pain...
But you can't have a Rainbow, without a little Rain....

Wrestling/Handheld Games/Horror/Zombie Films/Paranormal/Basketball Shoes/Body Building

Gameboy/Nintendo DS/PSP/Nintendo 3DS
FC: 1934-0903-9050
deathzero23
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

I don't think Anime will die.. Parang Super Sentai yan.
May mga OVAs pa rin.. Let's say Anime is just Cost-Cutting.
Gundams nga 50 episodes dati per season. Ngayon 25 na lang.. pati yung ibang animes maiksi na rin as per posted above.
Kaya nga may mga anime na ina-outsource like Naruto, pina-animate sa Koreans.

Just like American Cartoons. Nagsubside na rin.
1980's talaga Golden Age ng cartoons. Lahat ng original ideas lumabas na nung panahon na yun.
Kahit may merchandising o wala, may cartoon show.
Tapos ang requirement para maka-launch ng 1 season eh at least 80 episodes.
Oh di ba ang saya noon?

Kung may na-miss ako sa lumang animes eh yung mano-manong pagdedetalye ng mga Mecha ng mga artists.
Lalo na pag mga OVA na Mechas. One of the examples is Daingai-Oh. Habang nag-cocombine/transform, tingnan nyo yung level of detail ng art. Tapos ina-animate pa. ilang frames din yun tapos hindi nawawala yung detail.
flipsflops
Primal Rage
Primal Rage
PSN ID: flipsflops

deathzero23 wrote:I don't think Anime will die.. Parang Super Sentai yan.
May mga OVAs pa rin.. Let's say Anime is just Cost-Cutting.
Gundams nga 50 episodes dati per season. Ngayon 25 na lang.. pati yung ibang animes maiksi na rin as per posted above.
Kaya nga may mga anime na ina-outsource like Naruto, pina-animate sa Koreans.
And noone is buying those OVAs.
deathzero23 wrote: Just like American Cartoons. Nagsubside na rin.
1980's talaga Golden Age ng cartoons. Lahat ng original ideas lumabas na nung panahon na yun.
Kahit may merchandising o wala, may cartoon show.
Tapos ang requirement para maka-launch ng 1 season eh at least 80 episodes.
Oh di ba ang saya noon?
I am going to disagree and be off topic on this pero ngayon ang Golden Age ng cartoons sa US. From Adventure time, Regular show to Steven Universe. Magugulat ka kung gaano ka original yung mga cartoons ngayon and they're not selling toys primarily. Americans cartoons in the 80s are made to sell toys. Yung mga na-cancel are due to poor toy sales.
白線の内側に下がってお待ちください
grayfox17
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

this news isnt exactly come as a "shock" to me, with proliferation of online streaming and manga hosting sites online this is bound to happen sooner or later. Parang yung mga internet cafe na naging boom noon pero ngayon hindi na masyado. I still read manga from time to time just to entertain myself, i dont obsess nor revolve my lifestyle over it. As much as I hate to admit it tumatanda na rin ako and times are changing so naturally hobbies like this and gaming is something that I will eventually grow up from kaya it doesn't really bother me if the anime industry completely folds, i can just find another hobby to kill time.
**** ****!
CMagno_Freedom
Motor Toon Grand Prix
Motor Toon Grand Prix

may previous post ako dati titled: "The Anime industry is dying"
http://pinoyps.com/viewtopic.php?f=236& ... 3#p2251873

May nakita ko na lumang article tungkol sa isang American animator na nagtatrabaho sa Studio Pierrot (studio who animated Naruto)
http://www.buzzfeed.com/danmeth/this-am ... he8bJNvmAl

Bukod sa usual way na pag support sa Anime Studios na buy merchandise etc. nakakatulong din na manuod from official streaming websites tulad ng
crunchyroll.com
at
daisuki.net

Siguro iniisip niyo "gusto sana namin manuod sa crunchyroll pero region blocked naman halos lahat.

Well pwede kayo gumamit ng VPN (virtual private network) tulad ng HotSpot Shield para manuod ng region blocked content. Set niyo lang na USA ang country. Kung ayaw niyo sa HotSpot Shield pwede rin tunnelbear.com pero may data limit at yung unlimited may bayad pero mas ok siya sa HotSpot Shield.

Kung available sa crunchyroll yung papanuoron niyo na anime, dun na lang kayo manuod please. Para dumami ang web traffic papunta sa crunchyroll at mas madami gusto mag-advertise dun para mabayaran nila ang mga Anime Studios kumpara sa ibang sites na ginagamit ang fair use policy loophole para lang makapag-broadcast ng anime ng hindi nagbabayad sa anime studios.

For more info on fair use policy:
http://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/fa ... -fair-use/

Pag mas mataas web traffic papunta sa crunchyroll, mas sisikat sila, pwede nila taasan advertising rates nila at mas maraming gusto mag advertise sa kanila kasi sikat sila na website. Di naman nila siguro hahaban ads dahil alam naman siguro nila na nakaka-irita yun. May premium membership naman kung ayaw mo ng ads.

Di kaya ng isang tao na suportahan ang buong anime industry kaya mag tulong-tulong tayo para mga Anime Studios na naghihirap para lang sa entertainment natin.

"If one thinks that he would not be making a difference, then he would end up doing even less." -Kira Yamato

*Di po ako affiliated with crunchyroll, daisuki.net, HotSpot Shield, and TunnelBear.
Ginagwa ko po ito ng walang hinahangad na kapalit
Hi
Daniel
Primal Rage
Primal Rage
PSN ID: Bobo-Bambano

Katulad din ito sa ginagawa nating mag-support sa mga game developers, pag bumibili tayo ng games nila. :D

Okey itong suggestion mo, paps.
PSN ID: Bobo-Bambano (US), Hunghunk (Asian SG), imajackiechanfan (Asian HK)
Oink McOink
Primal Rage
Primal Rage
PSN ID: OinkMcOink

Would animation company earn more with that than people buying physical copies once they get released?

Most of these animes are based on manga, I support the Mangaka by buying their volumes though I understand that they only get a small percentage on western releases.
CMagno_Freedom
Motor Toon Grand Prix
Motor Toon Grand Prix

Ang main source ng income ng studios ay mga blu-ray and DVDs. Dun talaga sila nakakakkuha ng profit kumpara sa merchandise. Actually di ako sure kung ang mga anime studios may percentage ng sales ng manga pagkatapos i-release ang anime.
Hi
Oink McOink
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

Wala percentage mga anime studios sa manga sales.. though the mangaka does get an little earning from the anime profits.

Western distributors of manga volumes pay only the license so I think the mangaka gets paid once for every license and it's renewal, not for each volume sold. not sure if it's the same for anime on western releases.
hiddenleaf
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

I believe buying legit merchandise like blu-ray, figures, cards, manga, reading manga fromd legit online sources and watching anime from legit websites and channels are ways that can help the industry. But if you want the most effective way to help a studio of your favorite anime is buying the BD/DVD of that anime, since a huge chunk of its revenue and profit of most animes came from the BD/DVD sales IN JAPAN.

but it's in japanese so it hard for you to enjoy the BD/DVD and justify buying those if you couldn't understand japanese unless you really love the anime. just wait for the english version and buy( meron bang legit distributor ng anime sa pinas?) or do the other things that i stated above. Keep note the word LEGITIMATE.

If the anime has a manga counterpart buying the manga also helps since most anime are produced to promote the manga anyways.
Oink McOink wrote:though the mangaka does get an little earning from the anime profits.

actually it depends from the contract, i've heard they can be paid upfront or has a slice on that anime profits. One thing i can say it's not that little.

Western distributors of manga volumes pay only the license so I think the mangaka gets paid once for every license and it's renewal, not for each volume sold. not sure if it's the same for anime on western releases.
Again depends on the contract usually they pay the license to the publisher and the mangaka has share on the sales of

Although i'm not directly involved and work in manga or anime industry, i met and talked to people(some became my friends), who are currently working or had an experience working in the industry. so take my comment with a grain of salt
**********CERTIFIED**********
..:♥(,`*•.¸( `*•.¸¸.•*´ )¸.•*´,)♥:..
...:♥`•.*:+:,:=XBOT=:,:+:*.•´♥:....
..:♥(,¸.•*´( ¸.•*´`*•.¸ )`*•.¸',)♥:..
deathzero23
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

Pag may huge following ang isang Manga, it could be developed into anime. So i guess fans should start on reading manga.
Aside from watching online, I guess buying legit merchandise from anime franchises could help. Kahit mini figs lang. I'd like to buy Revoltechs coz i'm into articulated figures but it's getting expensive. 2k lang max budget ko for a revoltech figure.

Figma is much more expensive. I don't know why but revoltech is much better in terms of quality and play span.
Nendroid have a certain following but i'm not fully aware of the price. So for now ang financially masusuportahan ko eh Gundam coz i'm into model kits.

Yung gasha/mini-figure/stats/chibi ng Kuroko's Basketball gusto ko kumpletuhin pero kung legit yung papatulan ko costly. Minsan napapaisip ako, baka over-runs na lang patulan ko macomplete lang.
Oink McOink
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

Of course it varies per contract. My apologies if my comment sounded absolute.

I know what you mean by legit, I make a point to support what I love by spending where I know will help the most.
darkpaladin
Primal Rage
Primal Rage
PSN ID: monkmon08

Might be the reason na through the years, pataas ng pataas presyo ng mga scaled figures. Not that I'm gonna stop collecting them pero paunti unti na rin ang nabibili ko.

Currently playing:
PS4: Final Fantasy XV, Tekken 7
PC: Chrono Clock, Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate

My Figure Collections
deathzero23
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

^I guess production cost are running all time high as of now. I'm partially guilty of buying some japanese bootleg gashapons