YEBIS 2 Bringing Visual Fireworks to PS4 Developers

Let's talk about anything about video games, no matter what platform it is. What is your favorite game? Who is your favorite character? What are the recently released games? What is DLC (downloadable content)? How do I beat this boss? How do I set up my team?
z3kEn
Momento Mori
PSN ID: z3Aya

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/07/ ... evelopers/
YEBIS 2 has been in R&D for a decade now, and you’ll see it in more games as we settle into this next generation. Developers appreciate our software as it piggybacks on a game’s engine itself (e.g., Square Enix’s Luminous Engine, Direct X 11 and so on). Within a day, artists go from having no post-processing effects to incorporating the full suite of features in one library, such as lens flare, bokeh effects, vignetting, and more. If you watch the trailer of Final Fantasy XV, and the tech-demo Agni’s Philosophy, you’ll see YEBIS 2 enabling those teams to push PS4 visually.

Middleware is an important key to next-gen development. In the current generation, games could be developed entirely by the dev team utilizing their own proprietary software. With this next generation, development time, manpower, and other resources have increased, so a smart studio will look for any opportunity to save time and streamline their processes. This is where we come in: on PS4 you will see our middleware literally shine. Take a look at our effects trailer to see our effects in action.

Shinji Hashimoto, Square Enix’s lead engineer and producer of Final Fantasy XV says, “YEBIS 2 is a high quality solution set for post-processing. For this reason in the current situation where lower costs are also considered important, if a new team is going to be developing things from scratch then I think using YEBIS 2 is a good deal from the perspectives of both cost and development efficiency.”

Minimizing costs and maximizing visuals is important. One key feature of Japanese development is a focus on visuals. For developers in Japan – and abroad – interested in high-end visual effects and realism, YEBIS 2 lets them create impressive and natural lighting without detracting from the horsepower of PS4.

Basically, any developer that uses YEBIS 2 will be able to perform high-level visual effects without the traditional hardware obstacles many expect when pushing technical limits. Because of our extended research, YEBIS 2 will let game developers better focus on what gamers care about: video games.

PS4 is a top-line piece of hardware, and everyone at Silicon Studio cannot wait to see YEBIS 2 in full-glory on PlayStation’s new platform. Believe me — we are only scratching the surface of greatness.

YEBIS 2 Tech Demo (Video)