Six Days in Fallujah

This section is read-only. Inactive threads for the past 5 years will be placed here. Also, game threads that are locked after creating its Official Thread will be here as well. If a new thread is created and an existing one is here, it will be merged. If a member wants to reply to one of the threads here, please ask an administrator or a moderator and it will be unlocked and moved to its proper section.
Bear
Primal Rage
Primal Rage
PSN ID: bear091283

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/04/13/joyst ... -fallujah/

We didn't have a stopwatch at the ready during Konami's unveil of gameplay footage from the controversial war game, Six Days in Fallujah, but it definitely seemed to go by fast. The video, shown during a very high-concept presentation at the publisher's 2009 Gamer's Night, primarily focused on two things: environmental destruction and squad AI.

Atomic Games, developer of the title, seemed very proud of the fact that its game engine allows for buildings to be destroyed down to the individual brick level. While that aspect of the game looked decently realistic, we couldn't help but look confused when the player character magically regained health and US troops seemed to be able to take several more bullets than their adversaries before clocking out. We expected a little more realism from a game being touted as a realistic depiction of a very real battle.

One aspect that did come across was the game's civilian factor. At one point, an unarmed Iraqi throws up his empty hands and the squad stands down -- only to come under fire from an insurgent who's jumped out behind the friendly. Truth be told, the footage did little to convey anything truly unique about a game that's getting a fair amount of attention based on subject matter alone. We sat down with Atomic Games following the demonstration to get its thoughts on the reception and what it hopes to accomplish. Check out our interview with the game's creators:

------------------------Interview------------------------------

As evidenced by the large portion of the 2009 Gamer's Night presentation Konami devoted to it, Six Days in Fallujah, the upcoming third-person action game based on the Iraq War's second battle of Fallujah, is clearly a very big deal for the publisher. Light on actual footage, the segment was focused on the high level of realism and accuracy its developer hopes to instill the title with. Just how accurate? That's what we wanted to find out, so, along with fellow bloggers, we sat down with Atomic Games president Peter Tamte, creative director Juan Benito and US Marine Corps Corporal Michael Ergo, a veteran of the battle and adviser on the game.

You've said you have Marine veterans who fought in the battle actually working on the title. How exactly?

Tamte: It's important for us to say, you know, that there are actually three communities that are very affected by the battle for Fallujah. Certainly the Marines. Certainly the Iraqi civilians within Fallujah, and the insurgents as well. We are actually getting contributions from all three of those communities so that we can get the kind of insight we're trying to get.

When you say insurgents are "contributing," what do you mean, exactly?

Tamte: I need to be careful about the specifics that I give. There's a much broader context to that. I should answer it this way: I think all of us are curious to know why they were there. The insurgents [came from] different countries. And I think we're all kind of curious about you know - they went there knowing that they were going to die, many of them knew that they were going to die, and they went there to die. And I think that that's a perspective that we
should all understand.

"Insurgents are involved in the creation of the game as well, as are Iraqi civilians."
Have you actually spoken to insurgents?

Tamte: They're involved in the creation of the game as well, as are Iraqi civilians. That's important to us. It's true. The game -- the influences for the game came from the Marines that returned from Fallujah. But quite frankly in talking with them, it's um, many people would just like this to be a recreation and we can't recreate that without getting the perspectives of all the people who were involved.

It was mentioned during the presentation that 47 Marines are working with you.

Tamte: The number of people between Marines, Iraqis and Insurgents are over 47 at this point.

How exactly are the soldiers contributing to the game? You've mentioned maps and battle plans, but do they point to a place on the map and say, "This went down right here?"

Benito: Absolutely. In certain cases we've recreated the battles and engagements of the Marines involved to an extremely high level of detail. Including incorporating some of the Marines who were there at the time during the operation in the location that they were in. And you as a Marine can experience an interact with them and fight right alongside them in the actual event in which they were fighting in the battle of Fallujah.

So the actual troops who are advising you will be in the game? Will you be there? [to Corporal Ergo]

Ergo: It's possible.

Tamte: You will interact with Marines who were in Fallujah in those particular locations.

Benito: We've scanned and recreated their faces and replicated [them] and put them in the game.

Would you say the game is actually going to be "fun"?

Tamte: The words I would use to describe the game -- first of all, it's compelling. And another word I use -- insight. There are things that you can do in video games that you cannot do in other forms of media. And a lot of that has to do with presenting players with the dilemmas that the Marines saw in Fallujah and then giving them the choice of how to handle that dilemma. And I think at that point, you know -- when you watch a movie, you see the decisions that somebody else made. But when you make a decision yourself, then you get a much deeper level of understanding.

"People will have their own individual reactions and those will be across the board. That's what we want."
Benito: And that's a really important point because we recreate the events as factually and as accurately as we possibly can. And there will be a broad range of reactions and opinions on the experience itself. And for some, they may have fun. They may enjoy it. We are recreating and presenting these events and people, I think, will have their own individual reactions to it and those will be across the board. And that's what we want. We want people to experience something that's going to challenge them, that's going to make them think and provide an unprecedented level of insight into a great military significance.

Ergo: It's an all-encompassing experience. There were a lot of times that were intense, there were a lot of times that were boring. I went on patrol and we adopted a puppy. There's so many things that go into my experience in Fallujah that there's no one word that encompasses that.

Will players encounter situations like friendly fire or accidentally shooting civilians?

Tamte: Yes.

Benito: We wanted to recreate the pressures and conditions the Marines faced and that includes adhering to the proper rules of engagement. So for example, as you may have seen in the demo, there's an unarmed individual at the start and the Marines didn't fire on him because he was unarmed and that was in accord to the rules of engagement at the time.

It's not about the politics of whether the US should have been there or not. It is really about the stories of the Marines.
Will there be portrayals of women being raped or dead children or are you just sticking to the combat?

Tamte: Well, what we're trying to do is recreate the stories of the Marines that we've spoken with and that are involved in the creation. And we're telling those stories of those particular Marines. None of the items that you've mentioned have come up in any of those stories.

Ergo: [Responding to Tamte] That would be accurate to my experience. I never saw any of that.

Benito: It's also important to note that the vast majority of the civilian population was displaced out of the city for weeks prior to the battle. So there were a very small number of civilians who will be part of the experience. We do it in accord to what we have uncovered in our own research.

Tamte: As we've watched the dialog that's taken place about the game, there is definitely one point that we want people to understand about the game. And that is, it's not about the politics of whether the US should have been there or not. It is really about the stories of the Marines who were in Fallujah and the question, the debate about [the politics], that is something that something for the politicians to worry about. We're focused now on what actually happened on the ground.

boga123
Primal Rage
Primal Rage
PSN ID: boga123

"its game engine allows for buildings to be destroyed down to the individual brick level."

pwede din kayang i-destroy ang kalaban down to his individual limbs? haha
PSN ID: boga123

DEBUT ALBUM NOW OUT FOR FREE!

Vandals on the Wall's 25th best local album for 2013!

http://thegeeksmusic.bandcamp.com
rohz
Primal Rage
Primal Rage
PSN ID: therohz

okay yung concept nila ng civilians. :smiley:
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

<(_)> You have earned a trophy.
_/ _\_ Resurrection

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
NinjaLooter
- Kick this player?

Cancelled na ito.
:bigmouth:
doy
Primal Rage
Primal Rage
PSN ID: doy626

jsnepo wrote:Cancelled na ito.
really? bakit? sayang mukha pa naman interesting :loco:
PSN ID: doy_07

Experience Chewy:
Trinoma (2nd Level)
Greenbelt 3 (3rd Level)
SM Cebu (3rd Level)
hyperhikaru
Krazy Ivan
Krazy Ivan
PSN ID: hyperhikaru

feeling ko tuloy takot ang amerika sa sarili nilang multo kaya ito na cancel... sayang lang... mukhang eye opener yung game kasi based from real events... same way feeling ko yung mgs1 dati eye opener sa atin tungkol sa weapons of mass destruction(pero hindi based yun from real events)...

lets hope some other bold publisher gets to publish this...
psn id: hyperhikaru
kreux_18
Primal Rage
Primal Rage
PSN ID: kRaToS_17-

canceled. sayang naman mukang promising pa naman yung game.
gusto ko pa naman yung nasisira yung mga buildings..
CURRENTLY PLAYING:

demon's souls
tekken tag tournament 2

"it's over..."

ADD ME UP!
PSN ID:
kRaToS_17-

facebook
f0xdye
Primal Rage
Primal Rage
PSN ID: f0xdye_virus

six days in development then canceled :grumpy:
PSN ID: f0xdye_virus(US) Titanite-Slab(HK) sleepytwig (US)

Motto: “One platinum at a time”
Platinum to Brag: Mirror's Edge
Last Game Platinum'D: Dark Souls 200%
Now Playing: Skyrim
rohz
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

nag cancel yung konami as publisher...
We were informed on Thursday night that Konami had decided to pull out of Six Days in Fallujah. This caught us by surprise. Development of the game had been progressing very well and on schedule. We would very much like the opportunity to complete the game.

I pressed Atomic further, asking if other publishers were sniffing about and what their plans for the title were, only to be told that no further information was available at this time. They did offer a hopeful "stay tuned" to the end of their communication, so perhaps there is still hope that the game will come to fruition.
http://kotaku.com/5231287/fallujah-deve ... ncellation

_/ _\_ Resurrection

darkwing_uop
Primal Rage
Primal Rage
PSN ID: darkwing75

it only needs a publisher, very sensitive kasi yung subject matter, i mean making a game on a conflict that hasn't really ceased yet? parang poor taste kasi
choy
hype lang
PSN ID: choyPSX

they should get a non-american publisher then
<( )> You have earned a trophy.
_/ \_ Hype lang yan

All form, no substance

PSN ID: choyPSX
Currently playing Gran Turismo 5
rohz
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

choy wrote:they should get a non-american publisher then
capcom maybe? :bigmouth:

_/ _\_ Resurrection

reiv
Captain Tsubasa J: Get in the Tomorrow
PSN ID: reivaxavier02

too bad, parang mgs4 act 1 pa naman.. pero if ever matuloy, napakatagal pa nito..
PLATINUM: BAA, DS, FF13, AC2, Borderlands, RE5, Darksiders, GoW3, KZ3, Enslaved, ME2, Dark Souls
darkwing_uop
Primal Rage
Primal Rage
PSN ID: darkwing75

i think no one will touch this, even with a 6 feet pole, maybe kung matapos na yang Iraq conflict
rohz
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

just change the name and it'll be fine. just say it takes place in a fictitious desert island or something, it doesn't have to be iraq

_/ _\_ Resurrection

reiv

365 days in Manila
PLATINUM: BAA, DS, FF13, AC2, Borderlands, RE5, Darksiders, GoW3, KZ3, Enslaved, ME2, Dark Souls
rohz
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

reiv wrote:365 days in Manila
pwede! matagal tagal na rin tayong hindi ini-invade. at meron tayong sense of humor, hindi madaling ma offend. :agree:

_/ _\_ Resurrection

reiv

sana nga magkaroon ng game na philippines ang setting. ex. forests in mindanao. kalaban abu sayyaf. ehehe. third person shooter.. or FPS :clap:
Bear
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

Six Days in Fallujah Finished, Still Coming Out
Source confirms title is on the way.
by Jim Reilly
LATEST IMAGES

View all 4 images
March 2, 2010 - Atomic Games' controversial shooter Six Days in Fallujah is ready to roll out.

A source close to the game's development confirmed to IGN this morning the title is still planned for release, though no expected release date or publisher was named.

"I can promise you that game is still coming out and it is finished," the source said.

Six Days in Fallujah got off to a rocky start last April when then publisher Konami dropped the title just weeks after revealing it to the press. Our source said Konami was "too scared" to publish the title after the negative reaction the title garnered.

In August, Atomic Games suffered layoffs due to the studio's inability to secure a funded publishing deal. While the total reduced headcount was never confirmed, reports at the time suggested nearly 80 percent of the staff was let go with only a skeleton crew remaining.

The fate of the studio was very much left up in the air, but this news seems to indicate Atomic Games is still open in some capacity. We'll keep you updated if we hear anything else.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/107/1073399p1.html
kreux_18
Primal Rage
Primal Rage
PSN ID: kRaToS_17-

nice one,, sino na kaya magpublish neto?

at least hindi nag give-up ang atomic games to finished this,, thumbs up for them.
CURRENTLY PLAYING:

demon's souls
tekken tag tournament 2

"it's over..."

ADD ME UP!
PSN ID:
kRaToS_17-

facebook