Catherine - Review - PS3 - A Bold New Take in Game Storyline

Let's talk about anything about video games, no matter what platform it is. What is your favorite game? Who is your favorite character? What are the recently released games? What is DLC (downloadable content)? How do I beat this boss? How do I set up my team?
benhur_monton
Ridge Racer
Ridge Racer
PSN ID: sir_ben99ph

PERSONAL THOUGHTS

Hi, first of all, this game might be a few years old now and probably late for a review but I just had to share my thoughts on this game. Ever since the game first came out, I was eyeing it since I played some of the Persona and SMT (Shin Megami Tensei) series for the PS2 and I really admire the games that ATLUS releases. When I read that the Persona team is behind Catherine, I knew it would be really interesting. Sadly, I did not have a PS3 back then and it was only a few months ago that I got one. So this game is definitely in my backlog list.

I really really really like this game! A breath of fresh air so to speak. You might think the premise is simple enough and at first glance, it might sound and look boring especially when you compare it to the Persona series but you will really get hooked if you're the type of gamer who's more into the story and dialogue. Not to say that the gameplay is bad, I think it's quite brilliant!

STORY

Catherine is the first game that I've played that deals with certain moral issues in adult relationships. This game is given a M rating because of some suggestive themes found throughout the game and yes, the game cover design clearly shows it. But I think that it's really adults who should play this game because you'd have to be a certain age to really appreciate the story and the conversation between the various characters. Like with the Persona series, ATLUS really did a good job in making the player feel and co-relate with the main character of the game. You talk and drink with your friends and acquaintances at the bar after a long day at work, play arcade games, go on dates, and even read and reply to text messages! I want to tell more about the story since there's so much to discuss but, I don't want to spoil it for those who have not played it yet.

GAMEPLAY

It's not your typical ATLUS game or RPG that you go around dungeons, look for items, save someone, grind, and craft items. It's some sort of puzzle / platforming game where you need to reach the end of the stage. The stage itself is the challenge. You have to push and pull blocks to make your way upwards to the end. As you progress, it becomes more complex and there will be some more obstacles to hinder you from reaching the top. There are stages which might seem impossible and will take time, lots of repetitions to finish. There are also "boss fights" which adds a significant amount of difficulty to the already challenging level. Stages get longer and more complex as you progress in the game.
Sounds repetitive? Yes it does. Your character will die countless times in this game which makes it so rewarding to finally beat the stage that you're stuck in for several hours.

GRAPHICS

In terms of graphics, it looks really good. It's in the same graphical style as with other ATLUS games. Some cutscenes are rendered in "anime" style. Nothing too fancy but it looks good in 720p.

AUDIO

Audio is superb! The soundtrack is great in every level. During boss fights, it adds to the tension as you go about and try and beat the level. During conversations between the characters, the sound will shift depending on what they're talking about which adds to the drama. But the best thing about the audio is the dialogue exchanges between the various characters in the game. They're witty and funny most of the time. Swearing is common which makes it really feel like a realistic conversation between friends.

VALUE

Since this game was released years ago, I got this game brand new for Php 895.00 and it's well worth it. It has multiple endings which adds to the re-playability value. I just finished it for the first time in Normal mode and I played close to 23 hours. I only had 2 gold ratings and several silvers. The rest are bronze. If you plan on getting gold on all stages then that would give you hours and hours more of gameplay. Plus, if you plan to go Platinum, that would take even more time.

Also, if you are a PS+ subscriber, you can try it for free. :2thumbs:

OVERALL

Overall, I give this game a Image. The gameplay is addictive and challenging and the story is great, and with relateble characters. Good job ATLUS!
Daniel
Primal Rage
Primal Rage
PSN ID: Bobo-Bambano

Well-written review, benhur!
PSN ID: Bobo-Bambano (US), Hunghunk (Asian SG), imajackiechanfan (Asian HK)
benhur_monton
Ridge Racer
Ridge Racer
PSN ID: sir_ben99ph

Thanks Daniel! I've had a long "gaming rest" and playing the new games now really surprised me!
ChardPurple
Double Dragon
Double Dragon
PSN ID: chard_newfag

Nice review though I like to see your input on these things: Length of the game (Golden Playhouse lasts only around 10hr-ish), overall difficulty of the game and the other modes (Babel/Rapunzel). The former is the reason why I still play this game on occasion eventhough I already got the Platinum.

Now Playing: Tekken 7, Gwent: Homecoming (PC), Detroit: Become Human (PS4), Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch)

"Substance over style, quality over quantity, practicality over idealism."